There’s no doubt about it, spring is on its way! Although today it is very cold here, so that might seem hard to believe. Nevertheless, warmer temperatures will be with us soon, and air conditioners will be humming once more.
With a change in the weather in mind, it’s time to do a quick assessment of your book collection’s health.
- Make sure your books are not in the basement or attic, where temperatures fluctuate the most, and the air can be very damp.
- Check that your books are not on an outside wall, where dampness can settle into them.
- Move shelves away from the blast of heating and cooling vents.
- Make sure your books aren’t jammed too tightly into their shelves, so they can breathe. Ensuring proper air circulation helps to prevent damage caused by moisture.
- Give those treasures some love with a duster. Dust and other particulates that settle onto the tops of books are harmful too, if it is not removed from time to time.
- Be sure to keep your collection out of direct sunlight: light damage is cumulative and irreversible.
I’m sure these tips are already in practice for the majority of my readers, but just in case anyone needed a reminder, I hope this short list was helpful.
Happy Spring, and happy reading! xo